Sunday, August 17, 2008

On your mark, get set, go!

Having recently passed into the mid-thirties demographic, I did a quick inventory:
  • Obese
  • Sedentary
  • Aches and pains developing
  • Biological clock ticking

Furthermore, hiking vacations, long bicycle rides, and roller-blading sound fun. Right now, that just isn't possible. I'd like to be able to take the stairs at work without wheezing or sweating like I ran a marathon.

It is time to get started. Going to the gym is the beginning. Making healthier food choices is the next step. (I still love you McDonald's. I'll never forget you.) Getting educated about what should the third step is even more important.

I'm tired of being tired, stressed, and having a creaky back and a twinge in my neck. Maybe it means more yoga, more meditation, or more prayer. A bigger part of me says that I've spent the last 15 years sitting down. My body is bound to complain.

The gym bag is packed for tomorrow morning. On the schedule: weight training and the elliptical. I've got granola and organic milk for breakfast. I also need to go to the grocery store tomorrow. Fruits and veggies will be important in this new transition.

Here's to new beginnings.

No comments: