Saturday, August 23, 2008

Health at Work

It's been a rough week for the gym. I over-estimated my intolerance of dirty hair and have been to the gym every other day. That's still better than not going to the gym. I put in a full workout once I get there, and it feels good.

Deciding what to do tomorrow is tough. Weight training and then the arc trainer? Swimming? I'm way off of the triathlon training schedule, but I'm trying to stay positive and build on my progress.

I'm also feeling motivated by news that overweight Alabama employees will pay extra for health insurance next year. I hate the thought of my employer minding the details of my personal business like that and plan to take every step necessary to stop it. We currently have fitness consultants who stop by and are friendly once a month. They encourage us to exercise, lose weight, and eat right. They're nice people. I don't have anything against them personally.

The thing is, my employer shouldn't be involved in this part of my life. I don't want to report my weight, blood pressure, and bmi to my employer. I wish I could tell them (without being singled out in a negative way) that my weight issues are complex. They aren't strictly a matter of will power. They have to do with a number of intricate emotional and social factors.

I have made three suggestions to my employer to improve health in the work place and the responses thus far.

1) Stock vending machines with fruits and veggies. That way, if I forget to pack a healthy snack, I can choose other options besides soda and candy bars and chips. This was declined on the grounds that it would be too difficult and expensive to stock perishable items.
2) Offer relaxation classes and groups. This wasn't rejected outright, but the suggestion was made that I lead the relaxation class. My answer? I'm stressed out because I'm responsible for too many things at work. Putting another item on the list does not help.
3) Get the smokers away from the entrances and exits to the building. This cannot be done because it would be perceived as unfriendly to smokers.

Anyway, I could get up in arms about it and refuse to change my lifestyle as a big and bold stand. Realistically, I do want to change my lifestyle and I'm trying to do it in an effective way. This top-down approach is too intrusive and dictatorial for me. I'm going to do my best to keep it from negatively influencing my positive health changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a pretty hot topic at many offices. I agree that having to share more personal info with your employer really isn't necessary. But look at it from their end - if they can keep employees healthy, it keeps their health insurance costs down (and yours as well.) Companies need to provide the tools to encourage healthy lifestyles though, such as better food in vending machine as you stated, but also showers for those who want to bike to work, or discounts at gym memberships, or maybe longer lunches which will allow people time to go for a walk or a bike ride or work out at the office gym. In the end, everyone needs to take responsibility for their own health.